Hybrid Platform has several ways of targeting based on environmental data - Hybrid Environ. These include temperature, precipitation, wind speed, cloudiness, atmospheric pressure, air pollution level, pollen and allergens concentration in the air, and geolocation.
In this article, we will review well-familiar weather targeting and discuss how to put it into practice, especially during the change of seasons.
Weather targeting allows you to display your ads based on weather conditions. The data is provided via an API by our partner OpenWeatherMap and is updated every five minutes. So, you can adjust and optimize your campaign or creative content in real-time.
The campaign consists of three stages:
Weather targeting options
You can use the following as targeting options:
- type of precipitation (no precipitation, rain in places, hail, heavy rain/downpour, snow);
- cloudiness (clear, slightly cloudy, cloudy with clearings, thunderstorm, cloudy);
- air temperature (above / below zero, a specific range, etc.);
- atmospheric pressure (normal, high, low).
How does it work?
Ad campaigns can be paused or launched in real-time, depending on the selected triggers.
Also, the creative content can change:
This kind of message is native, personalized, informs a user about the weather, and offers a product or service.
Who can use it?
Weather targeting would be a surefire strategy for seasonal product promotion and products that "application" can vary for different weather. For example, a season proposal in a cafe. The campaign was in process during weather changes period so we decided to implement the dynamic creative strategy based on the climate trigger and the geo targeting. At the first stage we showed cold lemonade for the warm weather conditions (under 21°C) . However, if the temperature dropped, we showed another creative – hot coffee for the cold weather conditions.
We also effectively applied weather targeting in an advertising campaign for Michelin. Here we served ads, inviting to change tires when the temperature was 0°C or below or snowing.
The foodservice industry can also benefit from weather-based campaigns. For example, when it's stifling hot, users see an advertisement for a refreshing lemonade, and when it's freezing cold - an invitation to warm up with hot chocolate. Combine it with Hyperlocal targeting (showing ads to users located within a radius of 200 m to 1.5 km from a given place) to better communicate with your target audience.
Reach your potential customers and users either within a radius of 250 m to 1.5 km or at specific places from Hybrid Places list.
Weather targeting offers the following advantages:
- Budget optimization. You can use triggers as a "switch" that turns on / off the campaign and shows ads only when the condition is true.
- Brand image creation. The main goal is to build user-friendly communication while informing people and making your ad message personalized.
- Real-time customization. You can run ad campaigns in different Geo. Weather targeting will allow you to show personalized messages, depending on the weather in the location, making it more evocative.
If you have any questions regarding Weather Targeting, feel free to contact us!